"Literacy is a bridge from misery to hope. It is a tool for daily life in modern society...Literacy is a platform for demostration, and a vehicle for the promotion of cultural and national identity...Literacy is, finally, the road to human progress and the means through which every man, woman and child can realize his or her full potential." ---Kofi Annan

19 February, 2008

The Book Thief post 1

TAKE ONE:
...
...
...
I...um...really have no clue...
Gah, I give up!

TAKE TWO:

I cannot give up twice. I cannot give up twice. I cannot give up twice. I cannot give up twice. I cannot give up twice. I cannot give up twice. I cannot give up twice. I cannot give up twice.

(Note: I am brain-washing myself, you can pretend that you never saw this...)

...
...
Why? Why ME????
...
...

Okay...

Personally, I really like the Book Thief...
It's very different than all the other World War II books that I have read...
Narrated by Death, you have to admit it's cool.

Anyway, I am approximately 100 pages into this book...
Since the book is narrated by Death and the setting is World War II era, the topic of death was brought up frequently in the beginning...
I especially like a quote from the book spoke by Death:
"I am a result" (6).
Death, being the end of everything (that is, in my opinion, afterlife does not exist) as well as the new start of things (as those people who believe in afterlife), is a very tricky thing.
Here in the book, Death believed that it is a result. A result of...everything.
An inescapable, designated end; a result that is bound to happen.
It's always entertaining to look back into history and see people afraid of death and want to live forever (an impossible task).
Life is hard, as many would say, but why do people wish immorality?
There are things in life that peole would treasure: power, money, love, or other values/material goods. And people can never give up or let go of many of these things, hence they don't want to die.
It's difficult, to smile into death and forgo everything you possess.

No comments: